Tuesday, April 24, 2007

And to sum it all up


The Gateway has somehow put all 97 years of its long and tainted history online. This means the most to me, I think, because my entire portfolio of Gateway material predates the Gateway's online publication.
This is a letter I'd almost forgotten. February 11, 1999, Mr. Derek Stephen, who I suspect had a made-up name, submitted his letter, hoping that I'd stop writing my brand of witty, pointless PAG (Personal Anecdotal Garbage, as coined by that year's opinions editor) and, I suppose, hoping I'd write something better. I don't remember what I did, but I'm sure it wasn't stop writing. I probably just verbally abused my staff, and then drank too much.
But read all my great and not-so-great work here. Between my March 9, 1995 article titled "Welcome to the BARD," which took me close to a month to write, to my final contribution on Halloween, 2002, which took about 45 seconds to compile, I tarnished that paper's good name no more than 427 times, not including all the times I ghostwrote letters (and my own obituary). Prouder and prouder.

1 comment:

joverm said...

neal, that obituary was heartfelt. only you could have written it.