Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Greatest Request Ever Requested

Friends. Hello. I still work at a furniture store. In my rapid trek across the country, I neglected to bring any music. Knowing full well that one can only listed to CBC Radio 1 for so long before going insane, I have a request.
Send me music.
You know me. You know what I like. You know what I might like. You know what I'd hate enough to like eventually. Be nostalgic. Be proactive. Find a song we once both heard and liked. Pick that one. Find some others. Send them, too.
What I'm asking for here is mix tapes (or CDs... it doesn't matter, since I'm getting an ipod at some point). Hell, e-mail me the files, if you want (use the g-mail account nozano _at_ gee-mailedotcom (or e-mail there for my ma and pa's address) and I'll compile them all into what adds up to at least more than three hours of quality listening. And I'll make a best-of CD and mail or personally deliver one copy to each participant. Is that a fair deal? Or I'll just visit you all and we'll drive around and listen to it.
Oh, and I want some Johnny Cash. Don't make me buy a best-of compilation. I already own them all in Halifax.
And with music, comes a soundtrek, that undeniable association one makes between a song and a certain point in a journey or vacation that never leaves you. I also want some of that, too. Please help. Your country needs you. Do it for Ozanada!

4 comments:

Neal Ozano said...

I'm going to write a sad post about my grandmother being in the hospital. these are my notes to myself:
Went by the grandparents' old place, and a flood of memories rushed back. Shawn, Kimmy, myself. Young, much closer, and much happier. The house doesn't seem to have a garden any more, but grandpa's huge garage is still there, covered by ugly vinyl siding.
Went to visit my grandmother in the hospital. She cried more at the idea of her poor husband of 65 years being alone in their house (in the short- or long-term) than she did about her own illness. She's been without him during the several surgeries he's had because of injuries in WWII (which ended finally in 1981), but he's never been alone in their new house in a retirement community (new=they moved there 17 years ago). He has never been there when she hasn't. He said he'd probably keep living there if she died, but I don't want to think about what kind of living it would be. That's all I can do right now.

Dave said...

I'm sorry to hear that Neal. I went through a similar thing when my Grandpa developed dementia and had to go to a home. Spend as much time as you can with both of them.

Neal Ozano said...

Update: my grandma went home. She's better, but not getting alll the way better ever again. It's sad. I'll probably be visiting them waay more now. Perhaps even waaay more.

Dave said...

In other news, you've got music coming your way in the mail.